Sunday, July 8, 2012

Boiled Peanuts : A Traditional Southern Snack

Yesterday I discovered that a local produce market was selling peanuts for $ .99 a pound. 
I had to have some, as they are in season.
I have an old recipe that my family uses every time we prepare this southern delicacy.






Ingredients
2 to 3 pounds fresh green peanuts
1 1/2 cups salt

  • Directions
  • Put the peanuts and the salt in a large stockpot. Cover completely with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours. To check whether they are done, pull 1 or 2 peanuts out of the pot and crack them open. When they are soft, they are done. If they are still slightly crunchy, they are not done yet, If they are not salty enough, leave them in the salted water and turn off the heat. When they are done, drain and serve immediately.


Boiled peanuts are a traditional southern snack.  In fact, depending on where you are from, you may have never heard of boiled peanuts. If you have heard of them, you may have "shuddered in your breeches" at the thought of such a thing. Boiled Peanuts are one of those foods that you either love or hate. I say, don't knock it till you try it!



In the south, boiled peanuts can be found in the strangest places. They used to be very popular roadside snack and can still be found being sold on the side of the road in smaller, rural towns. Some small town gas stations even sell them from a slow cooker throughout the day. They are also a very popular snack among college football tailgate parties. Peanuts, football, and beer, what could be better?
  
My family comes from a long line of farmers. My great uncle was a very prominent peanut farmer in Florida. He was dubbed "the peanut man" by a local newspaper. 


I remember when I was young, going to his farms and watching the workers sort through and pick the peanuts. He had tokens that he would give the workers, upon filling a bushel 
"croaker sack" full of nuts and they would turn them in at the end of each day to collect his/her pay. 

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely blog! I can't wait to see what the future holds for you. Starting with your first post as "Boiled Peanuts" makes me realize I am going to stalk your blog daily.

    ReplyDelete