Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Thrifting Finds

Happy Wednesday! I just wanted to share with you all, one of my thrifting finds from last week.
Thrift shopping happens to be my favorite sport :)

Well, maybe its not an actual sport, but to me it kinda is. You gotta wrestle things away from people sometimes and theres always other competitive shoppers. I know this because I've shared a few words with some! (politely)

I always try to go early in the week, usually Tuesday, because they get donations and do some of their own shopping to fill the thrift stores on the weekend. Tuesday gives them plenty of time on Monday to sort through everything and restock the shelves.

Well, on my recent adventure I went to a local place that I normally do not frequent, mainly because I never find ANYTHING. I figured with the Fall fast approaching, they might have something I need. 

Up front they had already started setting out Christmas items! Of course I love christmas so I had no problem just digging right in. I found many of goodies but only left with a few books on christmas decorating tips and crafts. 

Anywayyyys.... After rummaging the Christmas decor I browsed the whole place and found nothing. I decided to go look in the hardware area and happened upon a dusty box that was unopened. My curiosity got the best of me, so,  I took out my keys and cut the tape and took a peek inside. Boy, was I surprised at what I found. I had opened a box of unused Italian swing-top glass bottles!



Last year I made some homemade vanilla extract and had been looking for the bottles everywhere to make more. I had no luck and didn't want to pay the online price so I gave up. When I took the box to the counter and asked for a price the woman kinda hesitated for a minute and said .50 a piece! I was so ecstatic. I bought all 6!

On the way home it hit me that homemade vanilla extract would make great gifts for christmas.
As soon as I got home I went on Amazon and purchased a 1/3 lb of Madagascar vanilla beans.



Well, they came in today!! I will be making a batch in the next couple of days and will post the recipe and processes for making homemade vanilla.

* One thing you should know about me is that if I don't have a reason for purchasing something, no matter how full my cart is, I will put everything back. I really want to have purpose for everything I buy.

**Every Christmas, John and I do A LOT of baking. We think that the best gifts are handmade and are also the most memorable.


No comments:

Post a Comment